Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Linux: Year Two. & The Future of FFTB





 My second year with Linux was even better than the first. I've not only been able to begin resolving my own issues without help, but also able to help others by contributing suggestions on public forums and even at work regarding the OS. I'm easily able to identify, locate and extract problem files from our gateways. I spent some hours in the fall and early winter, writing a Basic Linux Commands guide for our custom kerneled appliances.
With the move newly implemented systems at work, all I need is a browser and I am good to go. Between the move to a cloud based CRM, rolling out Outlook Web Access for the remote users, and fine tuning my VPN settings, I've gone through a very successful transition form Windows. Even logging into my phone system is done through a remote connection to my work PC. However, Remmina (client) is a little sloppy, but I use it for like 5 minutes a day so I'm okay with it.  I am proud to say that I do not use a single MS product at home. My wife still runs Windows on her laptop but when that one goes, it'll be the System76 Galago for her. Maybe this summer if she gets her homework done before dinner...
I've spent the last year really focusing all of my spare time (not including house work) learn a lot more about Linux. I spent most of late 2013 evenings with my system learning a bit of basics regarding the LAMP stack. For those of you who do not know that stands for, it means "Linux Apache Mysql PHP" (note: The M and the P can sometimes stand for other DB solutions and programming languages. Additionally there's a WAMP stack for Windows servers, but fuck Windows. This here's a Linux blog) . The LAMP stack is most commonly used to and host websites and web based applications though it does have other uses. If you know how to make a website with HTML/CSS/Javascrip/PHP, you can use it to setup your lab environment. It can be daunting, but if you RTFM, backup everything and take lots of notes, you'll be okay.
This is the end of my series documenting my switch to Linux. If you've been inspired to try it yourself. Good! Stand up and tell everyone by registering as a Linux User here. If not, no big deal. Linux already powers a huge portion of your digital life. 

 Keep your eyes out for a few new sections of the blog coming soon. One about Home Improvements and Gardening, and another about DIY guides that can save you time and money.




1 comment:


  1. Salesforce is a cloud based CRM software. Today's most of the IT industry use this software for customer relationship management. To get more details about salesforce please refer this site.

    Regards..
    Salesforce.com Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete