Sunday, January 29, 2012

The iRecycle App by Earth911 Inc. Shows You Where and When to Recycle All of Those Old Electronics You've Been Meaning to Get Rid of

I was looking for a place to drop off all of the outdated and broken bits and bobs laying around my office. I have a staggering collection of broken and outdated computer parts, from laptop and desktop parts to any kind of wire cable or cord imaginable. Salvaging working computer parts was something I always found useful. Every now and again I'd come across a sweet score like a spare video card or extra hard drive or stick of RAM, even a perfectly good DVD burner from a new machine that got zapped when lightning hit a house. Now, it seems, my scavenging ways are beginning to catch up with me.

Since my wife and I are looking buy a home in the next few months and I was tasked with getting rid of any old electronics I didn't need. By the time I sorted through it all, I cleared out about 70% of the crap I had laying around and it felt great. I minimized my office clutter and took an inventory of my working spare parts. The only problem, I have a big plastic storage container with all of this useless junk and I don't know what to do with it. I can't put it out with my recycling, they won't take it that way. Aside from being illegal, trashing it will just send it to a landfill, adding to the growing e-waste problem.

After a brief search, I found the iRecycle app by Earth911 and it's available for Android and iOS. iRecycle is an excellent resource to find locations for recycling any item imaginable. There are 12 main categories covering everything from automotive to construction materials to electronics and even paint. Each category has a considerable and specific list of subcategories. From there you enter your City and State and the search displays recycling centers in your area. This makes it easy to find places that recycle less common items. The interface is comfortably simple and easy to navigate and the GPS integration is great bonus. It is clear the people at Earth911 took great care preparing this app.

No comments:

Post a Comment